Thursday, May 18, 2006

Ortiz will fight Shamrock in July & TUF 3 thoughts...

I was making the rounds of some fighter sites and Tito Ortiz.com is saying that Tito will fight Ken Shamrock in July (UFC 61?) Apparently Tito is recovering from some stretched knee ligaments and a bulging disc suffered during TUF3 filming and aggravated from his fight with Forrest Griffin.

I don't think that would change the outcome of the fight though. Slightly injured or healed I'm afraid Tito is going to have his way with Ken yet again, and then Ken should retire. He's a UFC legend and a great ambassador for the sport but he just doesn't have that same edge anymore.

Quite frankly after seeing Ken on TUF3 I don't get the same warm and fuzzy feeling I had before I saw him on there. His coaching style leaves a lot to be desired, he seems aimless, and can't keep his team morale up. It seems I should have expected more from a guy of his Caliber.

Despite some complaining from the team about favoritism and training injuries I was very surprised by what an excellent coach Tito is. He's attentive, enthused and genuinely interested in having the winning team and advancing the skills of each fighter. I thought he was going to be a bit more of a punk based on his Octagon antics but he's been great to watch.

Mike
(MMA Fanatic)

3 comments:

guppyman said...

Yeah.... I went into this year thinking Shamrock would be great and Tito would be an ass.... Reverse that completely... I wonder if Ken could coach his way out of a paper bag at this point. Bad move for him to come on the show. It's been a great ride for Ortiz though...

Gapper said...

Couldn't have said it better. I kept saying each week, "Well this has to get better for Ken" negative on that...

Gunny John said...

It's pretty bad when the fighters that he's supposed to be coaching are even questioning his coaching.

Tito is waaay too good at pushing his buttons too. If/when they fight again, Tito just needs to take an extra half second to get him good and pissed off; then pick him apart.